Thursday, July 12, 2007

My life for Aiur!

"My life for Aiur" - this is what a Zealot says when it comes out of the warp gate. Zealot is a unit in Starcraft and along with starcraft it has made its appearance in my dreams as well when my starcraft addiction was at its peak in 1998 or 99.

Anyways, these days my life is for Aiur as my starcraft addiction is growing again and why shouldnt it grow when i spend two nights every weekend playing this game with my old gikian fellows and have started winning few of the games. .

I have been a loser in the game for a long time. Failing to understand the basic concepts, i make mistakes that usually provoke my allies. Long time ago, while in Giki, while on bnet (the server on which starcraft is played) I made a mistake - ( to be more specific , i had a dozen dragoons but i couldnt make them cross a river bridge when my ally needed them badly to protect his base ). My ally got pissed . He sent me a few angry words & left the game. On that day , like a priest who takes the vow of celibacy , i took a vow that i will never play starcraft on bnet again. This was a stupid vow . As then i started playing against computer only and a computer AI is extremely predictable .You can neither have fun nor learning by playing with it.

On May 19, Blizzard announced that starcraft II is in production and so i finally decided to listen to bodi's constant calls to join bnet . Thus I shifted from playing-warcraft-daily to playing-starcraft-daily , got DSL at home and came back on the bnet server again.

Last weekend i followed a good routine of staying awake all night for the love of starcraft. Bodi and KB were too nice to teach me to overcome the main mistakes that i usually do. Bodi went out of the way by giving me a proper walkthrough lecture on the very basic build order in the game . Now i daily follow this practice religiously to improve the game.

I dont think of Starcraft as an addiction anymore.(earlier, i used to) Although it distracts me from my life routine and has all the ingredients of a proper addiction but now i have surrendered to the fact that of playing Starcraft lifts my mood..it keeps me happy.. it keeps me running . :D

9 comments:

Dawgg said...

and i owe my 5 year late degree to all the games...hahaha. But i loved every single moment of it and have no regrets. It was not that i couldn't over come the addiction but i chose it over studying (which was wrong :P).We just have to admit it man that gaming is our life's essential part and we can't live without it.

Umair Azfar Khan said...

i dont think that playing for 4 hours over saturday night, once a week is an addiction.

plus you get to meet old friends have a good time chatting, so why not enjoy it?

The thing that is really funny is that, one day you are going to look back and say, Bods was my mentor! Haha!

Sameer Durrani said...

@waqas:so true yar.. you are lucky that you realized it a lot earlier .

@umair.. yar! i play with you on weekends.. the rest of the days i play it with computer.. its not just a weekend thingy..trust me man.. it really is an addiction.

Anyways, this weekend was kinda heavy..i couldnt recover the sleep loss later.. :(

Noman Jelani said...

Good yar after lot of experience u finally got some wining techniques. Anyhow these strategic games do make u crazy and I hope one day u will be playing WWE with HHH picture in ur blog.

Umair Azfar Khan said...

I dont get it, what do strategy games like Starcraft and WWE have in common?

Umair Azfar Khan said...

give him a tutorial sameer!

Dangling Pointer said...

man, i love the strategy games... but i know i'd get addicted if i start playing again.... :( so i have to avoid the fun.

Sameer Durrani said...

Umair.. about the connection between WWE and starcraft...you wont get it.. its too deep man.. :D

Haris said...

ADUN TO LEAD US!